LearnThe Big Story Course
“Life doesn’t make sense until you know
the story you are in.”
The Big Story Course
The core premise of this course is that when we have a clear understanding of the larger story of God, we are better able to understand how our lives make most sense inside that narrative. Upon completion, you will be able to:
- Recount the larger story of God
- Articulate how your life makes most sense inside God’s redemptive purposes in the world.
- Identify and deploy your “vocational power” redemptively.
- Small groups can use this course for focused study.
- Churches have used this as part of their membership pathway.
- Groups of churches can use this to facilitate common language and framework to bless a community… or to flourish a city.
- We are able to host the course live and in-person as well as online.
- Cost: Contribution(s) welcomed in support of the work of Flourish San Diego.
Lesson 1 - Overview (Feb 24, 2021)
This session gives an overview of the larger story of God and what he is up to in this world. Within that larger framework, you are able to understand the significant redemptive part we play in our everyday lives.
- Interview with Amy Sherman, author of Kingdom Calling. Video – 11 mins.
- All In – Our friend Scott and his work of creating jobs and revenue to help Ethiopia flourish. Video – 4 mins.
- The Reframing Story – A great resource developed by Regent College. Video – 35 mins.
- The Kingdom Story – A helpful essay developed by New City Commons for use by Cru. Used here by permission.
Lesson 2 - Creation (Mar 3, 2021)
In this session we will spend some time in Genesis reflecting on how we were created in the image of God and what we are called to do (including things like bringing order out of chaos).
- Street Sweeper – This is the video we watched produced by Briefcase Studios. Martin Luther King Jr comments on the power of good work. Video – 2:34 mins.
- Flourishing Culture – Andy Crouch has been very helpful in reframing how we can contribute to creating a world where everyone thrives. Produced by our friends at Made to Flourish. Video – 43 mins.
- Imaging God Worksheet – This worksheet can help you think about your vocational activities in light of the big story. Below you will find a quick instructional video to explain how to use it.
Four Question Survey – Would you please fill this out to help us gauge our effectiveness in teaching and applying this content? Thanks.
Lesson 3 - Fall (Mar 10, 2021)
We will talk about the Fall (the sin, not the season) and understand its many pronged impact on both creature and creation. We will learn about the fullness of this vandalism against God’s shalom.
- Carly – This is the video we watched during our session. This “All of Life” interview was conducted during a service at Canyon Springs Church in 2020. Video – 6:22 mins.
- Creation and Fall – This session of the Reframe series groups creation and fall together. Produced by our friends at Regent College. You would do well to watch the entire series for a deeper dive into the Big Story. Video – 43 mins.
- Justice & The Fall – This is a sermon delivered by Geoff at Trinity Presbyterian Church. In this series, we were exploring the topic of justice in light of the big story.
- The Florist – This is another video that we often show to illustrate how “ordinary” work is more sacred than we know.
Lesson 4 - Redemption (Mar 17, 2021)
In this session we answer the question, “How will God ‘put the world to rights?” We will look at the person and work of Jesus on the cross and how that restores shalom to the world.
Additional Resources (if you’d like more):
- Mechanic for the Lord – This is the video we watched during our session. Note how the gifts he was given (Creation) combined with a need in the world (Fall) led to a redemptive response (Redemption) resulting in the world looking a little more like it will be (Restoration). Video – 3:30 mins.
- Heaven & Earth – We haven’t had a chance to talk about the blending of heaven and earth… an understanding key to understanding how to live in a world filled with the sacred. Video – 6:42 mins.
- Temple – This video is even more interesting because the theme of the Temple can also be seen as the way to look at the Big Story. You may see the four chapters in this video and the narrative at this page.
Lesson 5 - Restoration (Mar 24, 2021)
In this session, we think about how the Big Story ends. We are encouraged to think about what we hope for, and therefore how we live now. Character formation becomes very important to the kinds of things we hope for and how we live.
Additional Resources (if you’d like more):
- Tegu Blocks – Building Blocks to Rebuild Communities. A great story of a creative way to create jobs and community well-being in the development of a business that cares for people as well as profit. 3:56 mins. This one gives even more insight to the business and their mission. Video – 3:30 mins.
- Start Something New – Here is a video that is an example of how a simple idea can make one’s community a better place. Video – 1:31 mins.
Lesson 6 - Integration (Mar 30, 2021)
In this session, we will look at four pathways that we are consider when we try to steward our lives toward redemptive ends. We will share a story of how one church learned how to find the people in their congregation that were already on “co-mission-ing” with God.
- We showed the video of Ellen Norton “volunteering” her physical therapy skills to offer services to underserved kids and families in Tijuana. (1.5 min)
- Here are the rest of the four pathway videos we developed from our church. Bloom, Start, and Join.
- Amy Sherman talks about the four pathways. This is straight from the author’s mouth. (26 mins)
A Glimpse Into Our Thinking
“That San Diego would be a place where everyone and everything is flourishing.”
This vision is a picture of what “thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven…” looks like.
“Align and empower the people of God to steward their whole lives toward God’s mission of renewing all things.”
Our aim is to help the body of Christ steward all they have been graced with to seek the shalom of our city. We will connect, incubate, and catalyze people and organizations to love their neighbors to life.
Get In Touch
11251 Rancho Carmel Dr. #501015
San Diego, CA 92150